Virtual Learning is designed to be a student-centered, authentic and engaging online program for K-12 that delivers the full program of studies for each grade level. Videos and interactive activities are embedded throughout the lessons, as are opportunities for hands-on learning and further enrichment (e.g. option courses, virtual field trips, etc.). Many projects give students the opportunity to choose how they demonstrate their learning, which allows them to use their strengths and talents. In other words, Virtual Learning students don't just sit at the computer!
Lessons and activities are delivered online through the Schoology learning management system, which enables students to work at their own pace and have flexibility in completing coursework at a time that works best for them. Students are expected to connect regularly with teachers through Google Meets, email and/or phone, or by submitting coursework. Teachers provide students with feedback and guide them on their learning journey.
Virtual Learning is teacher-led. The teacher does all of the planning, lesson design and assessment, and provides student feedback. Parents/guardians are encouraged to play a part in their children's learning to ensure they are completing assignments and reaching out to their teacher for support, while children are often able to work more independently as they advance in years and grade levels. Families can choose to learn in either a semi-synchronous or asynchronous manner based on what best meets the student's and family's needs.
For more information about how the Virtual Learning process works at each grade level, check out the Connections For Learning website.
Benefits of Virtual Learning
- Flexibility - Integrate your education into your lifestyle.
- Location - Learn from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Pace - Adjust the pace in which you move through the Alberta Curriculum to meet your needs.
- Content - Access, play, pause and repeat engaging lessons at your convenience.
- Collaboration - Work with our staff to create a personalized plan that suits you.
- Opportunity - Integrate your passions into your education.
- Communication - Get the guidance you need from your teacher in real time, or at a time that works for you.
- Connection - Connect with your teacher through a user-friendly and tool-rich Learning Management System.
- Community - Interact with other students and staff in small groups or one-on-one.
- Choice - Demonstrate your learning in a variety of different ways.
- Feedback - Receive grades and comments on your progress in a timely manner.
Virtual Learning is a good fit for students who…
- Can work independently
- Are comfortable using Google Meets and appearing on a webcam
- Enjoy the flexibility of working in the home environment
- Are able to demonstrate their learning through a variety of means, such as electronic forms and documents, video recordings and digital photos
- Can create and stick to a routine of learning in the home environment
- Are comfortable with meeting their social needs online or have other opportunities for social interaction outside of school
- Have regular access to reliable internet and a suitable personal device that meets the technological requirements of the program.
These qualities are a good indication that Virtual Learning may be a perfect fit for you and your family.
Virtual Learning is offered at:
For more information contact:
Connections for Learning