Sexual Health Education
Sexual health education is a required part of Alberta’s provincially mandated curriculum. It is taught as part of Health and Life Skills in Grades 4-9 and as part of Career and Life Management (CALM) in Grades 10-12. The Alberta Education curriculum identifies specific learning goals for each grade level.
The human sexuality component is offered to all students.
For students of all ages, sexual health education shall:
- Be science-based and free from bias;
- Honour self-worth and dignity;
- Be inclusive of personal, family and social values;
- Respect individual differences;
- Provide a supportive environment for students to learn and ask questions; and
- Use age-appropriate teaching methods and material.
Related Assurance Element(s)
Element 2: Students demonstrate Well-Being
Element 3: Teachers and Leaders Model, Promote and Support Success and Wellness
Element 10: The Learning Community Promotes Care, Respect and Safety