Adult Education

If you are over the age of 18, and have not yet finished your grade school education, you may find you need a high school diploma (or equivalent) to qualify for post-secondary education, enrol in a training program or get a job.

In Alberta, a student is considered to be "mature" if they have reached or surpassed the age of 19 by the start (i.e. September 1) of the current school year. Once students become mature, the Alberta Government will no longer fund their education, and those wishing to acquire a high school diploma (or equivalent) must cover the cost of their education. 

There are a number of ways for mature students to get the education they need to enter post-secondary, the trades and/or the job market. The best method for each student depends on their individual situation - for example, the number of credits they have already earned, and/or the requirements of the education program or job they wish to enter.

Alberta High School Diploma

Mature students who have already acquired several high school credits but need to complete additional courses to reach the 100-credit total required for a diploma may finish these courses at Connections For Learning.

Alberta High School Diploma Requirements

Alberta High School Equivalency Diploma

Students who are at least 18 years of age or older on September 1 of the current school year, and have been out of high school for at least 10 consecutive months, may earn an Alberta High School Equivalency Diploma. Students may do this by gathering credits, or by completing General Education Development (GED) tests.

Unlike a standard Alberta High School Diploma, an Equivalency Diploma recognizes real-life learning students have experienced after leaving high school. Students may need to complete and/or challenge courses in order to meet the requirements for an Equivalency Diploma, but additional credits may be earned based on each student's age and experience. Mature students may work towards their Equivalency Diploma at Connections For Learning.

Alberta High School Equivalency Diploma Requirements

General Education Development (GED)

Students may also earn an Alberta High School Equivalency Diploma by successfully completing five General Education Development (GED) tests. These tests are based on the four core academic subjects (Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies), and can be taken at government-approved GED writing centres.

The designated GED writing centre for the Edmonton area is Norquest College. To learn more about the GED tests and how to take them, please visit the Alberta Education website.

Get Started

If you are interested in completing your high school education at Connections For Learning, visit their website to decide which method is right for you, and to view the applicable fees.

For more information contact: 

Adult Education Coordinator
Connections For Learning 
Phone: 780-962-1414