The Board of Trustees approved the 2020-2021 Education Plan at the May 26, 2020 Board Meeting.
2021 Virtual Stakeholder Engagement Evening
School authority planning is an integral component of school authority accountability and assurance. The Board of Trustees, in collaboration with the Executive Team and key stakeholders, develops a plan that sets out our educational priorities, and assurance elements within the domains of education.
The planning cycle involves the following steps:
- Developing and updating a jurisdictional Education Plan that aligns with provincial goals, outcomes and performance measures and the Division’s newly minted vision, mission and values;
- Promoting community engagement;
- Preparing budgets that allocate or re-direct resources to support student learning, to achieve goals and to improve results;
- Implementing strategies to maintain or improve student learning and achievement;
- Monitoring implementation and adjusting efforts as needed;
- Using results to identify areas for improvement and to develop strategies and targets for the next plan, e.g. evidence-based decision making; and
- Communicating with stakeholders (staff, students, parents, or guardians, school councils, the public and Alberta Education) about school authority plans and results.
Parkland School Division’s Education Plan is the document which guides the strategic plans for the Division and Schools for the following year. The Education Plan for 2020-2021 and beyond are featured primarily in a web-based format in order to facilitate community access. An archived version of the content shall be available internally, or as requested, for review in print form.
The Parkland School Division Education Plan outlines our Vision, Mission, Values, Ultimate Goal and Priorities. These important components of our plan ensure that we are strongly delivering on our obligations to our students, parents, staff and community stakeholders. A strong plan ensures that we are continuously improving on our delivery of service.
The Education Plan begins with a bold new Vision and Mission, created and affirmed by the division’s leaders, staff and stakeholders in the Spring of 2019. An Education Plan reveals the map and provides:
- A strong Vision to firmly state where we want and expect to be in the future;
- A clear Mission to state how we intend to travel;
- An Ultimate Goal that shows the reward for getting where we are headed;
- Values that serve as guide rails and keep us on the path;
- Priorities that enable us to continuously check that we’re going the right direction;
- Assurance Elements that are the objectives we need to attend to along the way to build confidence; and
- Strategies that capture how we plan to attend to those objectives.
As a blueprint for success, this plan ensures that all of our schools are on the same voyage. The school division and all our schools engage students, staff, parents and their local communities in creating strategies with clear outcomes that pave the way to Student Success and Well-Being.
Our stakeholders are actively engaged in the development of local priorities and plans. Our Education Plan ensures that we remain simultaneously forward-thinking and responsive to stakeholder concerns.
As Parkland School Division is committed to growth and learning, our educational planning is a process without beginning or end. By developing clearly visible elements and effective strategies in our education planning process, we have emerged as both a transformative and transparent school division.
The 2020-2021 Education Plan for Parkland School Division provides future direction, commencing August 31, 2020. This plan was prepared under the direction of the Board of Trustees, in accordance with responsibilities under the Education Act and the Fiscal Planning and Transparency Act.
This Education Plan was developed in the context of the provincial government’s business and fiscal plans. The Board has used its performance results to develop the plan and is committed to implementing the strategies contained within the plan to improve student learning and results.
The Board approved the Education Plan on Tuesday, May 26, 2020.