Parkland School Division has a responsibility to ensure that each student enrolled in a school operated by the Board and each staff member employed by the Board is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
The Division affirms the rights of each staff member employed by the Division and each student enrolled in a school operated by the Division as provided for in the Alberta Human Rights Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Staff members and students will not be discriminated against as provided for in the Alberta Human Rights Act or the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
In Parkland School Division, everyone is accepted and experiences a sense of belonging.
In full adherence to the Alberta Human Rights Act, "all persons are equal in: dignity, rights and responsibilities without regard to race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income, family status or sexual orientation."
In Parkland School Division, every student has meaningful contributions to make.
Policy & Procedure
LGBTQ Links and Resources
- MyGSA.ca is Canada’s website for safer and inclusive schools for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQ) community.
- Founded in 1995, Egale Canada Human Rights Trust is Canada’s only national charity promoting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trans (LGBT) human rights through research, education and community engagement.
- PFLAG Canada is Canada's only national organization that helps all Canadians with issues of sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression. PFLAG Canada supports, educates and provides resources to all individuals with questions or concerns, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- This mission of the Rainbow Resource Centre is to represent and support lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, two-spirit, intersex, queer, questioning and ally (LGBTT*) individuals, communities and families by providing comprehensive education and outreach services, accessible counselling and other programs and services.
- It’s Pronounced Metrosexual is a comedy show and online resource about snap judgments, identity, and oppression. It’s a site where advocates of social justice can find helpful articles, fun graphics, and other resources designed to be shared in an effort to advance social equity.
- The GENDER Book is a fun, colorful, community-based resource, which illustrates the beautiful diversity of gender - a gender 101 for anyone and everyone.
- Pride Education Network
- Ten things you can say or do when you hear “That’s so gay!”
- Kids Help Phone - Sexual Orientation