Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting on Tuesday, May 24, 2022. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
Agenda items below are followed by a meeting recording time code in parenthesis.
- The Board approved the 2022 - 2025 Education Plan. The Education Plan is part of an overall planning cycle which involves the following steps:
- Developing and updating a jurisdictional plan that aligns with the provincial plan for assurance reporting; this includes attending to provincial priority elements and performance measures in alignment with the Division’s vision, mission, values and beliefs;
- Promoting community engagement;
- Preparing budgets that allocate or re-direct resources to support student learning, to achieve goals and to improve results;
- Implementing strategies to maintain or improve student learning and achievement;
- Monitoring implementation and adjusting efforts as needed;
- Using results to identify areas for improvement and to develop strategies and targets for the next plan, such as evidence-based decision making; and
- Communicating with stakeholders (staff, students, parents, or guardians, school councils, the public and Alberta Education) about school authority plans and results. (16:58)
- The Board approved the 2022 - 2023 Budget. The budget indicates a deficit of $2.3M. Total revenue is $136,993,818 with expenses of $139,262,710. It is expected that Division’s accumulated surplus from operations (inclusive of SGF-$958,945) will have a balance
of $4,948,858 as of August 31, 2023. Revenues increased $5.1M or 3.9% from last year’s budget while operating expenses increased by $5.3M or 4.0%. Revenues for 2022-23 include $6.4 million in Bridge Funding that is expected to be eliminated as the province uses this funding to fund growth throughout the province. COVID-19 continues to be identified as a high risk to this budget as it may impact assumptions around the opening reserves, funding, operations, and expenditures in 2022-23. (30:00)
- The Board approved the Attendance Area Review Recommendation A1 which will see Parkland Village School be expanded to a Kindergarten to Grade 5 school beginning in 2022-2023. (1:25:10)
- The Board approved the Attendance Area Review Recommendation J which will maintain the high school French Immersion program at Spruce Grove Composite High School. (1:47:45)
- The Board approved the Attendance Area Review Recommendation L, which will pre-designate new growth areas in Spruce Grove's Shiloh Area Structure Plan to Brookwood School and Woodhaven Middle School, beginning in the 2022-2023 school year. (2:01:40)
- The Board approved the Attendance Area Review Recommendation M, which will re-designate the areas of Tussic, Country Plains Estates and other unnamed developments in the southeast of the Town of Stony Plain to Stony Plain Central School beginning in the 2022-2023 school year. (2:12:20)
- The Board approved revised Board Policy 12: Role of the Superintendent. (1:06:12)
- The Board approved the revised Board Policy 20: Whistle-Blower Protection. (1:13:06)
- The Board received as information, the Strategic Communications Department Report, as presented by Director, Strategic Communications, Jordi Weidman. (2:18:20)
- The Board received as information, the Learning and Technology Report as presented by Division Principal, Katherine Mann and Director, Technology Services, Mark Karaki. (2:30:40)
- The Board received as information the Stakeholder Engagement Report, as presented by Associate Superintendent, Scott Johnston. (2:58:20)
- The Board received as information the Student Engagement Report, as presented by Associate Superintendent, Scott Johnston. (3:05:12)
The next Regular Board meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 9:00 a.m. Livestream
The Regular Board meeting will be preceded by the Organizational Meeting for the 2022-2023 school year, which begins at 9am on the same feed.