The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held virtually on Tuesday, May 4, 2021. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board welcomed a delegation virtually to speak on the topic of Nutrition Initiatives in Parkland School Division. Wellness Coordinator, Felicia Ochs was joined by Principals Fran Bell (Tomahawk School), Anil Padayas (Greystone Centennial Middle School) who highlighted Nutrition Nooks and Lost Lunch programs. Community partner Save-On Foods was represented by Store Manager Scott Karran who spoke about the well-received 5-a-day Mystery Fruit bag available for free at both Save-on-Foods and North Central Co-op.
- The Board approved the 2021-2022 Budget Assumptions as recommended by the Audit Committee. The Board is required to provide a 2021-2022 budget to Alberta Education by May 31st. The budget assumptions include key components of the budget including revenues, allocations to schools, enrolments, and key expenditures including staffing.
- The board approved a new logo for Parkland School Division. The PSD Logo Refresh - Update highlights the process for the Division's development and launching of a new logo which supports both the Vision and Mission of PSD.
- The Board approved a recommendation that the Board Chair write a letter to Education Minister Adriana LaGrange providing feedback on the Draft K-6 Curriculum. The Board discussed the Draft K-6 Curriculum at the April 27, 2021 PSD Tomorrow meeting. Discussion focused on the process for curriculum development; timeliness of the release of the draft curriculum; impact of COVID-19 on staff and students in relation to piloting a draft curriculum; and key areas of concern received from parents, staff and trustees.
- The Board received as information the Strategic Communications Department Report, as presented by Director, Jordi Weidman.
- The Board received as information the Learning and Technology Assurance Report, as presented by Division Principal, Instructional Services Kathy Mann and Director, Technology Services, Mark Karaki.
- The Board received as information the Draft Education Plan. School authority planning is an integral component of school authority accountability and assurance. The Board of Trustees, in collaboration with the Executive Team, Lead Team, parents and students, develops the annual Education Plan to set out the deliverable actions for the following year.