AP 522: Fees
Business & Finance
Fees are charged to provide educational and transportation services that meet the needs of the community.
a) Extracurricular Fees: Fees charged on a cost recovery basis for non-curricular items including the participation in clubs, sports teams, travel and other non-curriculum programs.
b) Nature Kindergarten Fees: Nature Kindergarten is a supplementary program with a focus on outdoor education that is provided on a cost recovery basis.
c) Full Time Kindergarten Fees: Full time Kindergarten refers to a Kindergarten program that is offered 5 full days per week. Fees are charged on a cost recovery basis for the portion that is not funded through education grants.
d) Non-resident Tuition Fees: As per the Education Act 13(2), a board may charge tuition fees in respect of an individual who attends a school operated by the board and who is not a resident student of the board or any other board or the Government.
e) Pre-K Play Partner Fees: Play Partner options may be offered to 3-year-old and 4-year-old children residing in the community in order to make Early Education programs more inclusive and diverse.
f) School Fees: Fees charged by the schools to enhance the students learning opportunities including field trip fees, event fees, student union fees, middle and high school option courses and instrument fees.
g) Transportation Fees: Fees are charged for bus services for the transportation to and from school for:
- Students attending their designated school who reside less than 2.4 km away from that
- school (ineligible riders);
- Students attending a school of choice (cross attendance riders) – Students attending a school other than their designated school that is not a private school;
- Students requesting more than one pickup or drop off location (alternate seats).
1. The Board shall annually approve the type and amount of fees that may be charged by the Division (Schedule 522A).
2. The Superintendent or designate shall set the school fee schedule annually (Schedule 522B).
3. No parent shall pay a fee to offset basic educational services, or that is prohibited under provincial legislation, the Alberta School Fees and Costs Regulation and the Alberta School Transportation Regulation.
4. The Principal shall ensure the return of any underutilized fees as specifically levied for an activity or event as prudent to do so.
5. The Principal may assign fees at the school within the limits set by the Superintendent on a cost recovery basis. Prior to charging the fee the Principal shall consult with the School Council on the amount and the reason for the fee. This consultation shall:
5.1. Ensure the fees are on the School Council agenda to provide all parents with the opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback, and
5.2. Provide sufficient information as to the purpose of the fee and its intended use.
6. School Fee schedules shall be posted on each school’s website and shall clearly define Division Fees and School Fees in addition to mandatory versus optional fees.
7. Schedule A and B shall be shared electronically on the Division website
8. A student transferring in after the start of the school term or out prior to the end of the school term may have school fees prorated or refunded as applicable.
9. Transportation fees shall not be refundable after the first day of school unless:
9.1. The student is transferring out of the Division’s transportation boundary area, or
9.2. The student moves from an ineligible rider to an eligible rider.
10. Students registering for transportation after the start of the school year shall only have fees prorated, if the student transfers in from outside of the Division’s transportation boundary. Otherwise, transportation fees shall only be prorated in special circumstances at the discretion of the Director of Transportation.
11. A Waiver of Fees shall be made available, based on income level or extenuating circumstances of all parents as defined by S47 of the Family Law Act unless there is a court order that directs financial responsibility. The Application for Waiver of Fees (Schedule 522C) shall be completed and the final decision rests with the Associate Superintendent, Corporate Supports and Services.
12. Disputes arising with respect to the levied fees shall be brought to the attention of the Associate Superintendent, Corporate Supports and Services for a resolution.