AP 440: Staff Growth And Evaluation
Personnel & Employment
All non-teaching staff, including those in supervisory and leadership positions, must actively participate in planning, evaluating and enhancing or improving their performance on a continuous basis
1. The Deputy Superintendent shall be responsible for the overall supervision and evaluation process.
2. The immediate supervisor, normally consisting of the Principal, Director or Site Manager shall normally be responsible for ongoing supervision of the staff member.
3. Ongoing supervision shall normally include two-way communication, be supportive in nature, involve self-evaluation, feedback and coaching.
With respect to Supervision and Evaluation
4. Supervision shall be provided by an employee’s immediate supervisor.
5. The supervision process shall:
5.1. Be developed and delivered in an ongoing and supportive in nature;
5.2. Provide support and guidance to staff members;
5.3. Include observations and information about the quality of work or service the staff member provides; and
5.4. Identify behaviours that for any reason may require improvement.
6. If, as a result of information gathered through supervision, a concern about the staff member's behaviour or practices arises, the immediate supervisor shall provide support and assistance to the staff member to address the concern in a prompt manner.
7. Written evaluations of the staff member's performance,
7.1. Shall be assessed as related to the responsibilities and performance standards of the position;
7.2. Shall be completed for all staff prior to the expiration of the probationary period and at least once every three (3) years following the completion of the probationary period;
7.3. May be completed more frequently at the discretion of the Deputy Superintendent, the immediate supervisor, or upon the request of a staff member.
7.4. Shall include:
7.4.1. An assessment of how the performance of the staff member contributed to the overall results of the school or unit;
7.4.2. An assessment of the application of skills, knowledge and personal/professional attributes required to achieve the expected performance;
7.4.3. Comments and signatures by the immediate supervisor and the staff member; and
7.4.4. An addendum outlining the professional development activities undertaken during the evaluation period.
7.5. The Immediate supervisor shall ensure that the staff member receives a copy of all evaluation reports;
7.5.1. The original evaluation reports shall be submitted to the staff member's personnel file.
7.6. A staff member may respond in writing to the evaluation;
7.6.1. Such response shall be included in the staff member's personnel file.
7.7. A staff member may request a review of an evaluation process no later than thirty (30) calendar days after the receipt of an evaluation report;
7.7.1. Such a request shall be made in writing to the Deputy Superintendent.
7.8. The Deputy Superintendent or designate shall review the evaluation to determine if the Principal/Director conducted the process of evaluation in accordance with provisions in the Administrative Procedures.
7.8.1. The results of the review shall be communicated to the staff member in writing in a timely manner.
7.8.2. No appeal shall be made of any decision arising from such a review.