Instruction & Assessment AP 250
Program evaluation provides reliable insights into the quality and effectiveness of the Division’s instructional efforts. The process also serves to acknowledge the Superintendent, and therefore the Division’s obligation to be accountable to the public for the quality of education provided for students as well as its obligation to ensure that all programs are being offered in accordance with the provincial program of studies.
Division programs shall be periodically evaluated to ensure that program objectives are pursued and achieved in an effective and efficient manner.
1. Program evaluation exists to:
1.1. Ensure that program objectives and delivery are consistent with student needs;
1.2. Identify program strengths as well as areas requiring improvement; and
1.3. Recommend deletion, modification or continuation of program components as required.
2. Criteria used to evaluate program effectiveness shall include:
2.1. Adherence to the Alberta Guide to Education – ECS to Grade 12;
2.2. Alignment with the Division’s Education Plan;
2.3. Appropriateness and availability of resources to support program delivery;
2.4. Suitability and variety of learning activities in which students are engaged;
2.5. Degree of integration with other programs;
2.6. Quality of long-range, unit and daily plans;
2.7. Articulation between and among grades;
2.8. Provisions made to accommodate individual student needs;
2.9. Suitability of student evaluation procedures;
2.10. Quality of in-service and professional development programs offered in support of program development/implementation;
2.11. Results achieved by students; and/or
2.12. Additional criteria as determined prudent by the Superintendent.
3. External program evaluations may be conducted by Alberta Education at the request of the Superintendent or designate.
4. Program evaluations may be conducted at the school or Division level or as part of an overall school evaluation.
5. The Principal shall be responsible for monitoring and evaluating the quality of programs in the school.