Instruction & Assessment AP 210
The Preamble to the Education Act notes:
The Government of Alberta recognizes the importance of an inclusive education system that provides each student with the relevant learning opportunities and supports necessary to achieve enduring success.
An inclusive education system is one that demonstrates behaviours and decisions that reflect valuing all students. Within an inclusive education system all students experience the most appropriate learning environments and opportunities to best achieve success. Each student belongs and receives a quality education no matter his/her ability, disability, language, cultural background, gender or age.
The success of inclusive education programming relies on the engagement, collaboration and involvement of students, parents, staff and community.
An inclusive education system is one that is defined by the following attributes:
Learning activities are as defined in the Alberta Programs of Study;
Success is described for all students and it may look different for different students;
Students have the supports and services they need to access and be successful within their educational programs;
Students are safe and healthy; and
Students feel that they are welcomed and that they contribute.
1. Community schools shall be the first choice in placement decisions.
2. Every student, regardless of background, need or circumstance, shall be at the center of all decisions related to his/her learning.
3. Factors such as abilities, race, culture, socioeconomic status, gender or disability shall be recognized and barriers to achieve the student’s full potential removed so that every student has equity of opportunity.
4. Identification of factors shall include:
4.1. Classroom observations/monitoring;
4.2. Educational screening/assessment;
4.3. Collaborative practices;
4.4. Consultation with parents;
4.5. Access to school based and school-linked supports and service teams; and
5. Through collaboration, engagement and empowerment, principals shall work with all partners to develop and implement a continuum of specialized supports and services to ensure that each student has high quality and socially engaging learning opportunities and supports to enable him/her to achieve success.
6. Programming shall take into consideration the following:
6.1. The improvement of environments for students;
6.2. The focus on independence;
6.3. The unique needs of all students;
6.4. The importance of utilizing a strength-based model of thinking; and
6.5. The requirement of high expectations for all students.
7. Universal, targeted and individualized supports are to be put in place, across a continuum, to ensure students are meaningfully engaged in learning the interrelated knowledge, skills and attitudes that are required for success at school, at home and in the community.