Communication & Technology AP 604
The Superintendent has the responsibility to ensure positive internal and external communications are developed and maintained. In recognizing that the news media exists as an important vehicle through which the Division keeps the community informed and increases public awareness of education, the Division’s staff share the obligation to protect students and staff from unwelcome media intrusions into the operation of the schools.
1. Information releases shall accurately communicate the Board’s business to the public and shall only be issued by persons authorized by the Board as per Board Policy 5 – Role of the Board Chair.
2. The Superintendent, through the Director of Strategic Communication, shall approve all information (both Division and school related) released to the media.
2.1. All media requests received at the school shall be directed promptly to the Director of Strategic Communication.
3. Media representatives shall not be allowed to disrupt the normal operation of a school or a class for the sole purpose of information gathering;
3.1. To prevent disruption, interviewing Division employees and/or students during regular class times shall not be permitted.
4. Media representatives may be invited to school events by the Principal with proper notification to the Director of Strategic Communication.
5. Media representatives may be asked by the Principal or Division staff to leave the premises or grounds where it is deemed to be in the best interests of the students and staff to do so.